Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The flu...

So I am sick for the second time in three weeks - this time around is much worse than the last time in terms of energy- I think I finally have succumbed to the media star H1N1. I am ok with that, with as infective as it is, I would rather just get it over with.

The scary thing is really the lack of preparedness on the part of the authorities (health, governmental, or otherwise). The "swine flu" is the same protein designation as the casual agent of the 1918 flu pandemic that was highly lethal, and as we can easily see by watching the numbers add up this time around, the transmissibility is still there.

Lucky for us, we dodged a bullet in that it doesn't seem to be as virulent as the last time around. When the truly nasty flu pandemic finally hits us, as it inevitably will due to the highly mutagenic nature of the flu, will we be ready? or will it be a replay of this pandemic, with the deaths and subsequent panic piled on?

No comments: